Crush is the sixth album by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, and was released in 1985
The task of designing the album cover fell to Caz Hildebarnd at XL Design. He remembers “OMD sent us some tapes and lyrics and we had quite a long meeting to discusscover ideas. The title Crush was already in place and the band explained that they didn’t want a violent cover. A cover depicting tee romance was suggested but not treated in a pop art way. they wanted a mid-American feel, ‘Nowheresville’ quietly evocative of lost, past times”
According to manager Martin Kirkup, ” I remember Andy McLuskey telling me the reason he wanted to do a Hopper-style painting ….was that he had always felt that there was alot of melancholy in the paintings of Hopper and he felt it matched the melancholy that was in the songs”
Artist Paul Slater was commissioned to do the painting, and Hildebrand, while leaving the composition up to Slater, requested teh car, the boy and girl and the inclusion of the group’s faces in the window
Slater did the work and assumed it went well since no alterations were needed. The painting itself is superbly evocative, very much like a real Hopper, but of a different mood and setting, recalling memories of love’s first encounters, teenage passion and, perhaps, impending disappointment. As Hildebrands says “Hopper was the right feel then….there is a brooding, particularly un-English feeling about this cover, but at the same time it’s not Coca-Cola America either. I think it was a very good pastiche and very different from the covers that were in vogue at the time
In an interesting twist, Paul Slater is a fan of OMD yet claims never to have heard the album. When the album was released , a review in Harpers & Queen said that the music wasn’t up to OMD’s usual standards but that the Hopperesque cover deserved a second look
Not quite as Hopper as Hopper maybe, but hipper
- Unbreak your heart : 2 - What causes heart disease?
- Can you really get fit by exercising for 3 minutes a week?
- Unbreak your heart : 5 - Saturated fat
- Album of the week : Given To The WIld - The Maccabees
- Shiatsu - an ancient technique for the 21st century
- Is your body in acid alkaline balance?
- Surprising Superfoods - Avocados
- Classic Album covers : Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake - Small Faces
- Make old bones - look after your young(er) ones
- How to stop those unwanted marketing calls
- Classic Album Covers : Breakfast In America - Supertramp
- Signed on the dotted line and wish you hadn’t?
- Surprising superfoods : turmeric
- ‘Must see’ movie : Dark Shadows
- Should you track the market?
- Let the Northern Lights Erase Your Name by Vendela Vida
- New Spring Cycle Clothes
- Eating in Tulum, Mexico
- FactCheck: The shaky foundations of the government’s latest grand design