Written by Dickens’ great great great granddaughter Lucinda Dickens Hawksley to celebrate the bicentenary of his birth. He was born on 7 February 1812; the year 2012 is a celebration not only of his life, but of the vast and exciting legacy he left behind him. Produced by Andre Deutsch, one of its most unique aspects is that there are a large number of removable documents which you can take out of the book and examine. These include facsimiles of letters, manuscripts and even his will, as well as some of his visiting cards, family photographs and many other fascinating artefacts
Charles Dickens is the definitive illustrated guide to the man and his works. It follows Dickens from early childhood, including his time spent as a child labourer, and looks at how he became the greatest celebrity of his age – and how he still remains recognized as one of England’s greatest celebrities, even in the twenty-first century. The book also takes an intimate look at what he was like as a husband, a father, a friend and an employer; at his longing to be an actor, at his fascination with detective work and at his travels: across North America, during a year spent living in Italy and his regular trips to France. Alongside Dickens himself, you will meet his fascinating family and his astonishing circle of friends – and will discover when and how life and real-life personalities were imitated in Dickens’ art. The cast of characters in this book embraces an incredible array of famous – and occasionally infamous – Victorians
Charles Dickens was not only a superb novelist, he was also a brilliant campaigning journalist, a philanthropist and a social reformer. This book, which includes some really stunning images, many of which have not been seen before outside the Charles Dickens Museum’s archives, will show you the enormous changes Dickens helped to bring about, both in his local society and the world at large
NMTBP is giving you the chance to win a copy of Charles Dickens. You don’t have to anything, except become a member if you’re not one already. All members will be automatically entered into a draw to be held on June 13th. If you’re not a member register here
Many thanks to our friends at the Carlton Publishing Group for donating this splendid prize. To see more of the books Carlton publish click here
- Unbreak your heart : 2 - What causes heart disease?
- Album of the week : Given To The WIld - The Maccabees
- Unbreak your heart : 5 - Saturated fat
- Can you really get fit by exercising for 3 minutes a week?
- Shiatsu - an ancient technique for the 21st century
- Surprising Superfoods - Avocados
- Is your body in acid alkaline balance?
- Classic Album covers : Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake - Small Faces
- Make old bones - look after your young(er) ones
- How to stop those unwanted marketing calls
- Protein for Building Muscle?
- NOLS: Ditch the Gym With the 30-Minute Denali Workout
- WIN - Charles Dickens -Bicentenary
- Album of the week : One Day I’m Going To Soar - Dexys
- Should you invest in Royal memorabilia?
- Triangles by Ellen Hopkins
- Dungeness, Kent
- The costs of demographic change – an EU obsession?
- Fred Smith’s Burgers at the Admiral Codrington: Just GO and Eat Them