You’ve just settled down with a cup of tea or a glass of wine at the end of a long day. As you relax and unwind, the phone rings. Reluctantly you drag yourself off the settee and answer. It’s an unsolicited marketing call, someone trying to sell you solar panels. Even worse it’s an automated message about payment protection insurance mis-selling. AAAARGH! Can you stop these people calling you? Yes, you can, and here’s how.
The Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 lay down rules for organisations regarding making unsolicited marketing calls to individuals
The regulations require that organisations do not make ‘live’ marketing calls (where there is actually a person talking to them, as opposed to a recorded message) to:
- a subscriber who has indicated a general objection to receiving such calls by registering with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) or,
- a subscriber who has notified the caller that they do notwant to receive such unsolicited calls
Register with the Telephone Preference service here. It takes less than 5 minutes
Automated marketing calls (calls during which you can’t speak to an actual person but have to listen to a recorded message) are even more invidious because Regulation 19 of the Privacy and Electronic Communication Regulations requires that companies or organisations making automated marketing telephone calls have the prior consent of the subscribers they are calling. Yes, I know what you’re thinking – when did I give all those organisations my permission? Registering with the TPS should stop these calls, but if it doesn’t, or if you don’t want to register, you can make a complaint to the government’s Information Commissioner’s Office here
- Book of the week : The Daughters Of Mars - Thomas Keneally
- Album of the week : O' Be Joyful - Shovels & Rope
- HMRC demanding underpaid tax? You may not have to pay
- Apos therapy - can it save your knees?
- Album of the week : Given To The WIld - The Maccabees
- Album of the year : Devotion - Jessie Ware
- What the food industry could do for our health, but doesn’t
- It's never too late for......Horseback riding
- Get back money you'd forgotten you had!
- Unbreak your heart : 5 - Saturated fat
- Album of the week : American Kid – Patty Griffin
- Tough on tax, but is it all talk? FactCheck
- The 10 most common pension mistakes
- Celebrate Memorial Day With This Summery High-Protein Dessert
- Wristband Pedometers Side By Side
- One Toke Over the Line – Brewer and Shipley – 1970
- Help Launch the brilliant MooMan Movie
- Behind the Shot: Big-Wave Surfer Mark Healey Catches a Monster Wave at Teahupoo
- It’s Smarter Travel Week!
- Last-minute May bank holiday ideas